It’s only natural that people would want to feel as though they are safe in their homes. After all, if you can’t feel safe at home, then your life is going to be extremely stressful a lot of the time. There is so much pressure and danger out in the world that they idea of having to bring any of that into their homes is enough to cause a lot of people no shortage of panic.

This is why it’s so shocking just how many homes might be secretly putting people at risk. There is a surprising number of dangers that face typical residents and homeowners every single day. Some of them are things that are incredibly difficult to notice but can have serious, long-lasting consequences.

These kinds of dangers are usually fairly easy to avoid. However, they can often be difficult to identify. Here are some of the ways people’s homes are putting them at risk on a daily basis.

Asbestos

Picture Source

Many residents and homeowner assume that asbestos is no longer an issue and that they simply don’t need to worry about it. Sadly this is not the case. It is true that asbestos was banned in 1977, but this means that any property build before that point potentially contains asbestos in a variety of locations. When it becomes airborne, asbestos can present significant health risks to anyone who is exposed to it, including putting them at risk of developing certain cancers later in life. The most common danger from asbestos is when it becomes airborne. This means that you could have been living in your home for a long time with no problem, but as soon as any area of your home containing asbestos, such as insulations, begins to breakdown it can become airborne and, therefore, dangerous. Companies like Schemel Tarrillion are available to help your rid your home of this toxic substance. Don’t ever assume that because your home has been renovated recently that it’s automatically safe, in fact, this may have even increased the risk of airborne asbestos in your home.

Damp

Picture Source

Once again this is a more common problem among older properties, but that doesn’t mean that more recent ones can’t also have the same issue. Damp is something that many people consider to be a major inconvenience, which is certainly true. One thing that they don’t realize it that it can also present a major danger to your health. For one thing, damp provides the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. It doesn’t matter how much you clean, if your home offers a damp environment, then bacteria is going to be able to thrive. Of course, there’s one thing that is a sure sign of the danger that damp can present in your home: mold. There is some debate over whether or not the mold itself can cause people to become sick or if it’s just another indicator of moisture in the home, which is the real cause of the problem. Either way, the presence of mold in your home should be a very clear indicator that you need to deal with the damp in your home straight away. If you see mold growing, then you need to remove the damp materials and deal with the source of the moisture. Don’t assume that just because you’ve removed a damp area that the root cause isn’t still there somewhere.

Fire

Picture Source

Fire is often one of the biggest fears for many residents, and understandably so. Damp can cause damage to your home over time but a fire can do irreparable harm to your home and everything in it very quickly, not to mention the danger it presents to a home and family. However, there are many people who, despite this fear, don’t take the proper precautions to prevent fires in their home.

The majority of residential fires start from an electrical source, most commonly the overloading of sockets with too many appliances. Make sure that every plug socket that you use is surge protected.

It’s also important to remember the potential fire hazards that you can’t see. Things like wiring within the house can often be invisible which means you’ll never know whether or not it’s begun to deteriorate, increasing the risk of fire. Make sure to have an electrician look at it regularly.

The most important thing that you can do in order to protect your home from fire is, of course, to make sure that your smoke alarm is working. The biggest danger to you and your family is the inhalation of smoke, without a smoke alarm you could end up inhaling large amounts of smoke in your sleep, doing a great deal of, potentially deadly, damage to your lungs.

Gas

Image Source

One of the most dangerous things about a gas leak in your home is that it can be incredibly difficult to detect. Carbon Monoxide cannot be detected by sight, sound or smell the vast majority of the time, meaning that your home could be leaking the deadly gas and you would never know. Fortunately, there are plenty of things that you can do. By purchasing a CO detector, you can be sure that you know straight away about the presence of the dangerous gas in your home.

The most common cause of a gas leak is not having your appliances regularly serviced. By having a professional check them over at least once a year, you can be sure that you and are family are completely safe. When buying any new ones, make sure that they are inspected by an independent party before purchase. A gas leak is unlikely, but it’s certainly not worth taking the risk.

Many property owners and agents work very hard to avoid these issues, but there is always the risk that something could end up getting missed. If you are planning on moving to a new property, make sure to have an independent surveyor look over the entire place to make sure that there are no risks to the health or safety of both you and your family.